Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars


It is appropriate my shipment of books from Amazon is due in today on book Tuesday. A box full of cheap paperbacks, some trashy some wonderful. Some from my childhood. (Finally got a new set of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. I was horrified to find out they did not have a kindle version of them yet.)

During my busy Monday wherein I did not get to write for you, dear readers, I was quivering with excitement because I knew I would get to write for you today. And share my new book love.
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is one of the best books I have had the chance to read in quite some time. Which isn't to say I haven't been reading, I have, but nothing has taken my mind and my heart and wrenched it, torn it and tried to mend it back together in this way in longer than I can remember.

John Green's writing is so raw and poetic. He doesn't hold back anything or pretty up the realness of feelings. And that's what makes it so special. It feels real. I am usually a lover of Sci fi and fantasies, I like books as an escape, but I was due a dose of sobering reality.

But before you think it's all doom and gloom, he also reminds you that reality has its' beautiful moments. Like this line from the book. One of my favorites.

This book has given me a new appreciation for the people in my life, and how to love them and enjoy them as best I can. We are short lived creatures, but we can use the time to our advantage, not just for big things, but for the small things, like noticing someone.
But you don't have to take my word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment