Friday, February 1, 2013

The Sky Room


Last night I had the pleasure of going to The Sky Room in downtown Long Beach for the second to last night of Dine L.A. If you have never done Dine L.A. it's a great way to experience some of Los Angeles's best restaurants for less money than you would normally pay to go there and we try to hit up at least one restaurant a year on it.

The Sky Room is this amazing restaurant on the top of The Breakers Building in Long Beach, an historic hotel. The elevator even has an attendant! I was glad we dressed up as much as we did, upon seeing him. When we entered the restaurant I felt like I had stepped back in time to the 1930's and that Cliff and Jenny would be joining us for dinner.

We had a great waiter named Donald and because the restaurant was not as packed a weekend night got the best service, and had some great chats with him.
The view was breathtaking, you could see all of Long Beach, from the Queen Mary, to the ferris wheel
I started the mean with a Latin Manhattan, a Manhattan with chocolate bitters, a genius addition to my current favorite drink. Then my appetizer. I admit it was probably my favorite item. Carpaccio with baked brie and brioche with black truffles. It melted in your mouth. Toast has never melted this way better.
It was followed by short ribs and gnocchi with a sweet sauce that balanced well with the recommended tart red wine.
We took a dance break then to enjoy the piano player and the dance floor, floating in a cocoon of suspended time, as the notes to "As Time Goes By" played. And lastly my favorite dessert, creme brulee. It was a magical evening and I recommend it for anyone who wants a really romantic place to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment